Wednesday, January 17, 2007

TRIATHLON06 @ IITM

Saturday, April 01, 2006

my first traiathlon

TRIATHLON06 @ IITM

.....and it all started at 5:40 in the morning with a missed call from aunty, i woke up fuse , got freshen up and rushed to the pool and to our surprise three of us, me aunty and pointy dicovered the most unusual scene wrt IIT standards, all teams had come on time and the coach was shouting at us to change and line up...we had no "flag nos" no pins so were were aww struck for a minute ..but somehow was i was relishing the slight chill of the morning with no butterflies in my belly...yes it was my first triathlon. For those who are unaware of it.. triathlon in IIT consists of
.5 km swimming, 7.1 km cycling & 3.3 km running...jogging....for some even walkin depends on ur energy level after the previous two. I got the no. 216 ...was lucky for me... we all lined up in the 6th line ready to roll. coach whistled and we started. aunty then pointy and me trailing last... although i was confident that ill be good at swimmin but things were turned the other way round, i was infact one of the last participants to drain my pants out ...guess was relishing too much the warmth of hot chlorinated water. FINALLY i got out, welcomed by murli, shame, fuse and majaz ..honestly speakin it felt nice to see them ..i got a boost... more by their presence than glucose.. now comes cycling the tyres roll , muscles fatigue, sight perfect, aim still in head.. and i bid adieu to my friends... In the second round i caught up with give up & aunty with his wobbling cycle he was askin me to go faster...i was one lap behind him, i realized later. In my last round i could easily see draac comin for running (he stood fifth) but i had already taken lead from 3-4 cyclists..and i felt good abt it. with all bits of energy exhausted i reached finishing line ..sipped water and fluxed glucose .. and the worst thing happened ..i got cramps , for once thought of giving up but could not or else alak would have been disqualified.. but yeah running alone was as boring as talkin to dumb girl...lol... i wish "someone" ..So i started running against all odds...but the good part was i was slow but i was steady ... i kept my feet thrusting against the road.
Fuse was present everytime i crossed the T junction ...actually i felt like an athlete when i drained my face with glucose water. At that time i wasnt puttin too much of effort and i had to pay for it..i was over taken by harsh...and he kept the lead ....but my mind was preoccupied with aim to complete the race rather than gettin a position. ....and i hit the finishin line coming 16th...it was an achievement to me as well as to our team which bagged 3rd position for the hostel and an experience well to be remembered. TRIATHLON - was undoubtely the ultimate test of stamina ...and the satisfaction of this accomplishment was awesome.

No comments: